If you’re a British Gas customer and find yourself in this situation, it’s crucial to know the best way to communicate your concerns and seek a resolution. Below is a detailed guide on how to complain to British Gas:
1. Call British Gas Customer Service
- Before you call, have your account number handy. It can be found on any of your billing statements.
- Clearly explain the nature of your complaint to the customer service representative.
- It’s always a good idea to take note of the representative’s name, the time of your call, and any actions or promises made during the conversation.
2. Write a Formal Letter
If you prefer traditional means or feel that a written record may be more impactful, you can write a letter detailing your concerns.
PO Box 41
- Begin with your contact information: name, address, and account number.
- Offer a concise but detailed description of your complaint.
- Include any relevant supporting documents or copies (never send original documents).
- Consider sending your letter via recorded delivery so you have proof of its receipt.
3. Online Complaint Submission
British Gas also offers an online platform for customers to voice their concerns.
- Visit the British Gas website.
- Navigate to the complaints section.
- Fill in the complaint form, ensuring you input your account number and attach any relevant documentation or evidence.
4. Escalation to the Energy Ombudsman
If you’ve exhausted the above steps and are not satisfied with the response or resolution offered by British Gas, it’s time to escalate your complaint.
Energy Ombudsman Contact Details:
Phone: 0330 440 1624
Website: Energy Ombudsman’s official site
The Energy Ombudsman is an impartial and independent service that mediates disputes between customers and energy providers. To engage their services:
- Ensure that at least eight weeks have passed since you first made your complaint to British Gas or you’ve received a deadlock letter from them.
- Provide the Ombudsman with all relevant details, including communications with British Gas.