UK residents can now add their driving licence to Apple Wallet, allowing them to present it digitally at selected checkpoints. This article delves into the specifics of this feature, how to use it, and the security measures in place.
1. Requirements for Adding Your Driving Licence to Apple Wallet
Before you can use this feature, ensure you meet the following prerequisites:
- Device Compatibility: You need an iPhone 8 or later, or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later. Ensure they run the latest version of iOS or watchOS.
- Authentication: Your device should have Face ID or Touch ID enabled.
- Apple ID: Ensure you’re signed into your device with your Apple ID.
Remember, this feature is only available in participating states and at selected airports and TSA checkpoints within those states. Always look for signs at checkpoints indicating Apple Wallet compatibility.
Reminder: Always contact DVLA for more updated information.
2. Presenting Your Driving Licence from Apple Wallet
At TSA Checkpoints:
- At selected TSA checkpoints, you can present your licence using your iPhone or Apple Watch.
- For iPhone users, before your phone presents your licence to the identity reader, you must authenticate using the Face ID or Touch ID associated with your licence.
- Apple Watch users need to unlock their iPhone using the associated Face ID or Touch ID each time they wear their watch. Once done, they can present their licence without further authentication until they remove the watch.
In Participating Apps:
- Your digital licence can also verify your identity in certain apps or app clips. For instance, when applying for a credit card in a financial services app, you can use your digital licence for verification.
3. How to Present Your Driving Licence in Person
- Hold your iPhone’s top or your Apple Watch’s display near the identity reader. There’s no need to unlock or hand over your device.
- Review the information that will be shared on your device’s screen.
- To share the information:
- iPhone with Face ID: Double-click the side button and authenticate.
- iPhone with Touch ID: Use the Home button for authentication.
- Apple Watch: Double-click the side button.
- A tick followed by “Done” will appear on your device once the process is successful.
Note: Depending on the location, there might be additional requirements. For instance, the TSA’s identity reader might capture your image for comparison with the one from your Apple Wallet.
4. Sharing Your Driving Licence in an App
- In the app or app clip, tap “Verify with Apple Wallet” or “Continue with Apple Wallet”.
- Review the information that will be shared and other details.
- Share the requested information by authenticating using Face ID or Touch ID.
5. Ensuring Privacy and Security
Apple has integrated robust security features to ensure the safety of your digital licence:
- Your driving licence data is encrypted.
- Neither the state-issuing authority nor Apple can track when and where you use your licence.
- Biometric authentication through Face ID and Touch ID ensures only you can access and use your licence.