The Admiral LittleBox policy is a type of car insurance aimed at young and newly qualified drivers. It involves the installation of a black box, also known as a telematics device, in the car which tracks and records various aspects of your driving. The goal of this policy is to encourage safe driving and potentially lower insurance premiums for those who demonstrate good driving habits.
Here’s what you need to know about the various aspects of the Admiral LittleBox policy:
Eligibility: To be eligible for LittleBox insurance, you must:
- Be at least 17 years old
- Have had your driving license for at least 1 year
- Have a clean driving record
- Drive a car that is worth at least £250
- Drive at least 1,900 miles per year
- Have a car that was manufactured in the last 15 years
1. Installation and Use of the LittleBox: The LittleBox is a small device, about the size of a mobile phone, that is installed in your car by a trained technician within 30 days of the policy’s inception. Once installed, the box begins recording data about your driving. You can start driving as soon as your policy begins, even before the box is active, and continue to drive as normal once it’s installed. The box is out of sight and also acts as a tracker in case your car is stolen.
2. Data Collection and Feedback: The LittleBox records various aspects of your driving, including your speed, braking, cornering, the time of day you drive, and the distance you drive. This data is used to calculate your driving score and provide feedback on your driving style. The information is only shared with the data companies that provide the services, like the LittleBox provider and is not sold or shared with anyone else. After a couple of weeks, you can check your driving feedback online. The data collected is used to determine the safety of your driving and could potentially lower your insurance price at renewal, although consistently bad drivers may face price increases, or even risk having their cover canceled.
- Monthly premium: The monthly premium for Admiral LittleBox insurance is typically lower than the monthly premium for traditional car insurance
- Claims: If you make a claim on your Admiral LittleBox insurance policy, your premium may increase. The amount of the increase will depend on the severity of the claim.
- Cancellation: If you cancel your Admiral LittleBox insurance policy early, you may be subject to a cancellation fee. The amount of the fee will depend on how long you have had the policy.
3. Potential Discounts and Rewards: The Admiral LittleBox policy offers a potential discount on your premium at renewal if you are deemed a safe driver based on the data collected by LittleBox.
4. Customer Reviews and Experiences: Customer reviews of the Admiral LittleBox policy are mixed. Some drivers appreciate the potential for lower premiums and find the feedback on their driving helpful. However, several reviewers express frustration at the scoring system, citing lack of transparency in how scores are calculated, and feeling that they’re unfairly penalized for common driving situations like braking quickly for unexpected hazards or driving more than a certain distance from home. These negative reviews suggest the system may not feel fair or beneficial to all drivers.
Keep in mind that while the LittleBox policy has the potential to help some drivers save money on their insurance, it may not be the best fit for everyone. It’s always recommended to carefully review any insurance policy and consider your own individual driving habits and needs before deciding. This research is not exhaustive and additional details about the policy could be found by contacting Admiral directly or further searching online.